Thursday, May 6, 2021

REFLECTIONS: ALAN CORK SCENE

An important scene in our film was the Alan Cork fishing scene. In our film opening I portrayed Alan, a fisherman who has schizophrenia. It was important that I conveyed the message that he had violent tendencies and was mentally unstable and that these factors made him a suspect in the murder of Lottie Wilson.

I managed to show the audience that Alan was a fisherman through the use of props and mise-en-scene. I dressed it overalls and a bucket hat, typical fisherman attire. I also was holding a fishing rod and sitting next to a lake. In reflection, this successfully showed the audience that Alan was a typical fisherman. I then had to communicate to the audience that Alan was mentally unstable, which was more difficult to successfully manifest. I did this by using dialogue and body language. During the scene, Alan began having a conversation with himself about seeing Lottie in the park, there is clearly nobody else around so it is obvious Alan is talking to himself which is one of the main positive symptoms of schizophrenia. Furthermore, his hunched back and poor posture suggest he is not healthy.

When reflecting upon this scene, I am happy with how it tuned out. It is clear that Alan Cork is a fisherman with schizophrenia. I feel as if I was successfully able to portray what I wanted through the use of props, dialogue and mise-en-scene.

1 comment:

  1. You have created a convincing character who does come across as rather naive and simple, if perhaps too unthreatening to do harm; however, you do suggest an adult who does not see social cues as others do, and therefore has tried to approach a young single girl in a lonely environment, and cannot understand why he has been rebuffed. This cleverly introduces the murder victim and implicates the fisherman.

    ReplyDelete

BENJAMIN RICHARDSON CANDIDATE NUMBER 1853 CLAREMONT FAN COURT SCHOOL 64680 My production team included: Matthew Heyns 1828 , Finn Hanley 182...